Posted on: October 19, 2010 9:33 am
So Commissioner Goodell is making the league worse by suspending players for helmet to helmet hits. This is a horrible decision. Yes I understand player protection is needed. However, turning the league into an offensive frenzy is the worse thing to do. Listen, you already cannot hit quarterbacks and now Goodell is making it so that you cannot hit wide recievers. Is he going to tell running backs they cannot lower their helmets now when hitting the hole to make it fair for everyone?
You want the head hits to stop? Stop loosening the rules to make it easier for the offense. Look at these head hits, they were all because of the quarterback. The media keeps showing these head hits...look at the passes. In the middle of the field, leading the player, throwing it to a reciever completely covered, over his head... These quarterbacks are taking more risks now to throw the ball into situations that get their players hurt. In the 70's, no teams wanted to throw in the middle, and they did not. Now because quarterbacks know they can get a penalty if it is an incompletetion, they are taking the risk and leading their recievers into trouble. There used to be a time when a reciever could trust his quarterback to take care of him, meaning throw him the ball in a spot that is going to protect him. Look at the quarterbacks this week whose players got hurt. Joe Flacco and Colt McCoy? Those passes that hurt their reciever never should have been made. They were horrible passes that lead their reciever into trouble, put the reciever in a defenseless position, and lead to the head hits.
Basically, if the NFL wants the head hits to stop, stop making this a pass, pass, and pass league. You have mediocore quarterbacks like Joe Flacco leading his men into danger because they are not good enough to read defenses and put the ball into a place that protects their players. You never see the elite quarterbacks like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees hang their players out to dry with a vicious hit. No because they have ball control and brains to know the danger of hanging their player out to dry in the middle of the field.
Tags: 49ers, Bears, Bengals, Bills, Broncos, Browns, Cardinals, Chargers, Chiefs, Colts, Cowboys, Dolphins, Drew Brees, Eagles, Falcons, Giants, Head Hits, Jaguars, Jets, Lions, Packers, Panthers, Patriots, Peyton Manning, Raiders, Rams, Ravens, Redskins, Saints, Seahawks, Steelers, Texans, Titans, Tom Brady, Vikings
Posted on: October 7, 2009 10:40 am
Edited on: October 7, 2009 11:52 am
After the first 4 weeks there have been some surprises and some disappointments. However, just 4 weeks in is by no means the whole season, but just an indication to what may happen. Here are my quarter rankings based on the teams, what I have seen, what I expect, and what I predict.
1. Saints - not to knock on any other undefeated teams, but the Saints can win with Drew Brees throwing 300+ yards or not even 200 yards. The defense is stepping up and with the ability to win close games without Drew Brees racking up a lot of yardage is a sign this team has elevated itself from years past.
2. Colts - Peyton Manning is looking good and their ability to win with little time possession (as in the Dolphins game) is the reason why this is the best team in the AFC and not far behind the Saints.
3. Vikings - Adrian Peterson is still the best back in the league. They have a great defense, and Brett Favre is limited but still gets the big win at the end of games. If they keep Favre on a leash, this team is going to go very far.
4. Giants - Eli Manning is looking good with all these new recievers around him, and Steve Smith is becoming the new Steve Smith in the NFC WRs corps that everyone is talking about. The defense is still good.
5. Broncos - although I am still not impressed, they are a 4-0 team and they deserve to be a top team. Kyle Orton is doing a good job controlling games and letting the defense do its job. Brandon Marshall is showing maturity.
6. Jets - well Mark Sanchez finally got his NFL welcoming party from the Saints. However Rex Ryan is doing a great job with the defense. Still a good team right now but will be hard for them to win the division with a rookie QB. As of now I have them ahead of the other AFC East team only because of their defense.
7. Patriots - some say the sleepers in the AFC that down the stretch will be back to their old form. I think the offense is not as strong as everyone thought and a lot of problems on the defensive side of the ball. They probably will win the division, mainly because of a rookie meltdown by Sanchez.
8. Ravens - offense is looking good. Defense came up big in some games. The WRs have to be a concern. Also it looks like the AFC north might be the best division in the AFC, so this will be a nice race.
11. Steelers - The champions at 2-2 were struggling for a bit. They might have found a real running back in Rashard Mendenhall, but will they play him over Willie Parker? Ben Roethlisberger is looking very good, but the defense in the 4th quarter is a very huge concern. Troy Polamalu could not get back any sooner, once he does things will only get better.
12. Bengals - I know, they beat the Steelers so why are they behind them. Although Carson Palmer is doing good and so is Cedric Benson, I just don't put as much stock in this team as I do with the Ravens and Steelers. Big game against the Ravens this week, but they just aren't up there with them yet, especially when you compare defenses. A home victory against a division rival is big, but it is just one win, at home nonetheless. Remember, the last time the Bengals won the division, (and only time for what 17 years?) they lost in the first round of the playoffs...meaning this team doesn't have much experience in being playoff contenders.
13. Eagles - Donovan McNabb will come back even better, especially since Kevin Kolb gave a good performance and Michael Vick is sitting there. They, like always, will be there in the end of the season fighting for the division crown.
14. Falcons - This team surprised me. I thought they would come out with a much stronger showing. So far, it has not been impressive. Matt Ryan is still a talented QB and this team will be a wildcard team because they won't be able to take over the top from the Saints.
15. Chargers - defense wins championships? If that is true than the Chargers have no chance. Shawn Merriman being injured is of course not helping. Philip Rivers did not look good the past week and with Tomlinson injured, this team has to rebound to catch up to the Broncos.
20. Texans - such high hope for this team, and now look at them. They still might end up at 8-8 but doubt it.
22. Cardinals - like I said, losing their offensive coordinator and having one more year added on to Kurt Warner was an equation for not a good year. They will not make the playoffs this year. In fact I say declare the NFC West division winner the 49ers. ( by the way NFC west is the worst division in football, was last year, is this year, and probably will be next year.)
23. Dolphins - any hope of winning the division has got to be gone now. Chad Pennington injured and Chad Henne starting is just not good. Here's an idea, try throwing the ball out of the wildcat! Yes the wildcat is a stupid gimmick but if the team insist on using it, switch it up, and try more passes from it!
25. Titans - 13-3 to 0-4.They won't win this week against the Colts. Kerry Collins is done and Vince Young is not the answer, so what are they going to do at QB. Also, this defense went from a top 3 to dismal.
26. Seahawks - I don't pay attention to them, all I can remember them from this season were those hideous green uniforms a couple of weeks ago...
27. Lions - well they won a game...woohoo. However, like I said waste all that money on a QB for a first draft pick, give him no offensive line and no defense and what will happen? Well now he is injured. Yeah getting yourself beat up everyday is a great learning experience. However, they aren't the worst team anymore!
28. Buccaneers - I wish Bryon Leftwich got more of a chance, but oh well.
29. Chiefs - so Matt Cassell isn't the answer. Such a shame this team because they really do have one of the best most loyal fan bases in football. I always hope for this team, and while here's hoping to next year.
30. Rams - this team will have the #1draft choice next year.
31. Browns - even though this team is the worst team in the NFL, they will somehow surprise some team, get a win or two and just beat out the Rams as the 2nd worst team in the NFL, record wise that is.
32. Raiders - I always put the Raiders on the bottom of the list and here is why...Al Davis. As long as he is alive this team is going nowhere and they will always be bottom of the list. WOW JaMarcus Russell is just awful and Darrius Heyward-Bey as the first round draft choice. HAHAHA! And people wondered why Richard Seymour tried to stay out of Oakland.
Tags: 49ers, AFC, Bears, Bengals, Bills, Browns, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Chargers, Chiefs, Colts, Cowboys, Divison, Dolphins, Eagles, Falcons, Giants, Jaguars, Jets, Lions, NFC, NFL, Packers, Panthers, Patriots, Power Ranking, Raiders, Rams, Ravens, Redskins, Saints, Seahawks, Steelers, Texans, Titans, Vikings, Vikings